Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Sydney


Hey all!

I'm in Sydney on my last tour with the Stephen Petronio Company. We are performing at the Sydney Theater as guests of the Sydney Dance Company while they are away in residence in Shanghai. This has been a great experience for us all in the Petornio Company since we feel so honored to be a part of this wonderful organization. We are also thrilled to be dancing in the Melbourne International Arts Festival. Although this is an exhausting program with 20 plus performances, I will always remember having my farewell engagement with my Petronio family in Australia. I am looking forward to seeing some friends in Melbourne as well - particularly Rebecca Hilton, with whom I danced for 6 years at the start of my career. She has inspired me in many ways as a dancer and teacher and look forward to catching up with her and her family. I will retrun to New York at the end of October to begin my new life as a teacher, choreographer and Graduate student. Looking forward to new opportunities and the future.

For now, my goal is to be present during these shows. I am trying to enjoy my dancing in such an intense capacity.

With gratitude and respect to Stephen and his lovely company...

Gerald

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so scary to leave a company, and everything you have ever known about dance. But it is also incredibly liberating, and the possibilities that will unfold, to Gerald and everyone else making this type of transition, are untold, fabulous and incapable of being dreamed.

When I left Bill T. Jones, I thought everything large about my life was going away. It turns out that the experience with Bill only served to expand me to the size of the things around me, and once I left the company I found all of this space inside of me to fill with new adventures. Sounds cheesy, but it was absolutely true.

It's important to keep reminding myself that things that make me happy aren't necessarily what i imagine they will be. Is it a NY season that truly makes you happy (well, yes, that one DOES make me happy...), or is it something that seems more mundane, or non-dance related (oh! horror of horrors! have you sold out?). The world is HUGE and we feel, when we tour through the world with a dance company, that we have seen things and experienced them (and of course, you have) but really that is such a small part of the world, even of the large grid. It is small because you see things through a very particular lens when you are on tour. There are so many things to be learned by staying in one place for a while, by sitting still, by just learning how to BE. what lessons there are that i have yet to learn. Right now, I am trying, so hard, to learn to enjoy being in a studio by myself and making a solo. Right now, it is tortur! Evil awful torture. Every minute. But I am trying to learn to do it and like it and believe in it.

I wish Gerald everything beautiful, and I have no doubts in my mind that he will get what he wants if he looks for the sensation of happiness, satisfaction, challenge and intrigue.

Much love to everyone.

Alexandra Beller

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home