Friday, October 14, 2005

Friday in Sydney


Friday, October 14, 2005

We're still in Sydney winding down a two week run at the Sydney Theater. It has been fantastic being in this town but I must say I am looking forward to Melbourne. We've had a pretty warm reception so far and last night we were part of a reception dinner thrown by Samsung, a major supporter of Sydney Dance Company. They are the reason we are here. Stephen's company was brought over as a stand in for The Sydney Dance Company's season. They are in Shanghai on a collaborative project with the Shanghai Song and Dance Company. They are to premiere Mulan in a few days. I wish they were here since I know many of those guys in the Sydney Company. I was here a few years ago when Stephen was commissioned to choreograph Underland on their 18 member company. It was a major success heralded with great reviews. I must say it was one of the most rewarding creative experiences I've had in my dance career to assist Stephen (along with Ashleigh) in making an evening length dance presented at the Sydney Opera House. They are still touring it to this day and are still receiving great reviews.

We have three more shows here, a much needed day off and then to the Melbourne Festival for five performances. I look forward to being in Melbourne since Sydney is more of an economic center whereas Melbourne is the food and cultural capital of Australia. I also can't wait to catch up with Rebecca Hilton, Philip Adams and Lucy Guerin (who choreographed Chunky Move's Tense Dave). They are all friends of mine whom I met in New York and who are still working in dance back in their home town. They are all amazing artists with incredible hearts and minds. I can't wait to catch up and see what they are all up to.

For now, I am taking it easy during the days trying to rest my legs. I can't really walk around too much since the show is really hard on my body. I am enjoying quiet afternoons in my hotel room and catching up on my school work. I am anxious to get home to get back to work and on with my life. I'll be teaching in New York at Dance New Amsterdam in November and December and continuing to choreograph, developing an evening of work that I've begun this summer.

Be well...

Gerald

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home