Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Moving (again)

(John and) I moved out of Williamsburg back into Manhattan - the incredible East Village. I'm home! We're subletting Netta's place on East 5th between B and C. It's a quirky littly block because 5th doesn't go all the way through so you have to go over to Avenue C and backtrack towards the Earth school. I really don't mind it that much at all and the apartment itself is really great. It's a small two bedroom with a huge eat-in kitchen. We have a 6 month sublet so it feels like home for a while. We actually unpacked everything and can breathe some life into our new space. The rent is a bit steep for the space and location but we love it already. Since the strike, walking all over the city doesn't bother me that much. Thank you to all of you who passed along great leads to apartments- especially Tamara R.!!! That was awesome. You have some good karma credits to cash in...
We are really close to Tompkins Square Park and the LES and Chinatown - where I get most of my groceries. It's really intense down there but you can really feel like you're in a different country where nobody can understand you. And it's cheap! I love the Congee Village -thanks to Thad who introduced me to it. It's this kitschy Chinese Restaurant on Allen right below Delancey.
Another thing that is worth mentioning about the East Village is that it has changed so much. I used to live on 14th and A in the early 90's - before the infamous Cock and all these other trendy bars and restaurants. Now, Avenue C has amazing restaurants, like Bao 111 - who knew? It has been getting a lot of attention. There are lots of supermodels in disguise ducking into bodegas and slipping into non-descript bars like NuBlu on Avenue C and 5th Street. I hear it's 'the new black' to go sign-less, so edgy! The LES has amazing restaurants as well. I highly recommend Kuma Inn - a Thai/Filipino place on Ludlow and Delancey and the Clinton Street Baking Company for breakfast - the best French Toast ever! We do miss the Park Luncheonette in Greenpoint/Williamsburg. I think they have an amazing weekend brunch! There's also this Mexican place on Broome called Barrio Chino that's excellent... Yeah, I think I'm going to like living over here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home